Data Engineer Scientist
Data Engineer ScientistApply for role
We’re a team of the brightest and most curious minds with a fundamental belief that every organisation can be better.
We crack some of the toughest business and public sector challenges of the day. Not with reports or copy & paste thinking. But by pinpointing and implementing the changes that will make the biggest difference.
We never start out assuming we know the answer. But we’re always certain we’ll find it and see it through to the finish. By uncovering the data that means the most important decisions are made with facts, not opinions. By bringing together a group of people who live and breathe delivering results. And by embedding in your organisation this same passion, self-belief and know-how to thrive on any challenge in the future.
We believe so strongly in what we can achieve together that we stand by the founding idea of Newton – guaranteeing of our fees against delivering results that are recognised by everyone, from the frontline to the boardroom.
We demand better in everything we do. We think you should too.
We help solve complex challenges
Everything can be better We demand better in everything that we do. It’s in our DNA. We do not limit ourselves or create boundaries. We believe there is always a better way and work hands-on to create sustainable improvement for some of the world’s most successful organisations.
The most curious minds To have the kind of impact we do, we need to be different. Not just in the way we do business, but in the people we hire. Our people are obsessed with digging deeper to crack the toughest challenges.
Fact not opinion We are a data led organisation, who analyse rather than hypothesize. Our clients can then be confident they’re taking the right action. We never make assumptions or copy an approach from somewhere else. It’s about understanding each unique challenge and context.
Alongside your people We work on the front line with our client’s people to find what others can’t. Not just in the boardroom or on our own with our laptops. We work with the whole organisation, not directing change from above.
A shared goal We believe so strongly in what we can achieve that we guarantee our fees against delivering measurable results that are recognised by everyone - whether that is a financial, service or a quality measure. This approach means we work together with our clients to achieve a common goal.
Inspiring teams Our aim is to make real impact that remains after we have gone. We’re not report-writers or strategy-designers. Newton is implementation focused. Ensuring our client’s people will be better equipped and motivated to solve future challenges themselves through their work with us.
Our programmes start with data, it’s an integral part of our ability to deliver large scale fact- based business transformation. Fundamental to this is the capability and attitude of our exceptionally talented data consultants.
We want outstanding experienced data engineers and scientists to join our multi-disciplinary teams working alongside our clients to solve their biggest problems. If you work with us you will be strengthening our ability to gather, manipulate and analyse some of the largest datasets in the UK.
You’ll be able to arrive on a programme and within a short period of time identify the data we need to find opportunities and support rapid change. This means embedding yourself within client data, analytics and data teams to really understand the data that drives our clients. You will validate, collate and analyse this data to find value generating insights and work with our operational teams to help unlock this value. Very quickly you will establish yourself as one of the most knowledgeable people of our client’s data.
You will quickly understand the efficacy and value of our client’s data and use the right techniques to drive insight. This might mean using data science tools and languages to create compelling data stories that drive our clients to change their business.
It’s likely you will play a leadership role in improving, developing and embedding a data-driven decision-making capability within our clients. This will mean using your passion and expertise to change the way our clients gather, analyse and use their data to make the right decisions.
If you get excited about the power of data to generate value, if you’re experienced in gathering, manipulating and analysing data that supports real business change, and if you want to work in a fast-growing organisation with other high calibre individuals, we want to hear from you.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Leading the gathering, manipulating and analysis of data on major transformation programmes as a key player within our client-facing consulting teams
- From data strategy design through to delivering data insights, operating at a tactical level as well as guiding and empowering the client’s in-house data teams and our operational consultants to support this aspect of the work as the project progresses
- Telling compelling, actionable data-driven stories by getting under the skin of our client’s data and processes to understand how it will deliver real business value
- Collaborating and identifying opportunities to mentor the client team and develop the way they work, ensuring a sustainable approach once you’ve left the programme
- Building effective relationships with stakeholders in the client organisation, influencing and coaching to help them implement a data-driven capability within their organisation
- Changing the way Newton uses data by guiding and mentoring your colleagues on how to gather, manipulate and analyse data effectively
- Being a respected part of the management team on our programmes.
- You have demonstrable experience and tangible results of projects you’ve been involved in first-hand:
Implementing data-driven actionable insights that drive change across an organisation - Rapidly prototyping and deploying data-driven solutions using a variety of languages - Creating compelling data-driven stories that resonate with stakeholders - Processing, cleansing, and verifying the integrity of different types of data - Finding and working closely with data professionals across an organisation - Embedding a data-driven culture within your stakeholders
Experience in one or more data engineering/science languages such as SQL, Python, R etc.
- Working knowledge of data visualisation tools such as Qlik, Power BI, Spotfire, Tableau, etc.
- Expertise and experience in data science, machine learning and statistics
- Interest and endurance in taking on diverse and complex data problems
- Experience with mentoring colleagues in the best ways to use data to drive insight and change
- A university degree (and/or extraordinary talent) in data science, computer science, mathematics, statistics, physics, bioinformatics or engineering or other data science related areas
Key considerations for Indiviudals:
- Lifestyle - we work on-site with our clients in diverse locations, you will be expected to work onsite at client locations for the duration of your project. During this time all reasonable expenses will be covered. At Newton, we look after our people and we don’t work weekends
- Where needed, you’d be guiding and supervising the work of our operational consultants assigned to data roles
- During work on client programmes, your day-to-day line management would sit with the relevant Programme Lead or Director
- We have a 360 degree feedback culture.