WHAT IS THE ROLE?
The role involves an exciting mix of important functions that drive our business forward. You will take an important and central role in: -
- project managing new £multi-million tender responses and client contract negotiations,
- writing and providing content for our tender responses, commercial proposals and sales presentations,
- collating, owning and improving our standard content for all the above to enable us to put together the best possible response, maximising our chances of winning new business,
- monitoring our sales process and helping to guide new contracts through it to live status in the most effective way possible, and
- helping the tenders team in all other related work.
You will therefore be instrumental in winning new business for us.
We respond to at least two tenders a month for large consulting contracts, predominantly in our public cluster, but also increasingly in our Air Land and Sea cluster and occasionally in our private cluster. We have an enviable record of being successful over 75% of the time. We also prepare numerous high quality and compelling commercial proposal documents and slide decks to help win new £multi-million contracts across all our sectors, from defence, to grocery and retail, through to local and central government and healthcare. We have a full and growing pipeline of business and a flexible sales process and the management of all opportunities across all sectors needs to be handled correctly, with the right balance of rigour and empathy. Finally, we have collated high quality content and collateral for all our tender and sales documents and this needs to be maintained so it is instantly accessible, and continuously improved to ensure we can move at real pace to respond to the business development needs of the business.
You will be working at our head office in a highly regarded team comprising three lawyers and the COO, together with our marketing and knowledge teams. You will be regularly working with our Directors and Partners of the business on shaping, landing and winning compelling proposals and tenders.
YOUR EDUCATION, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
You’ll be a high calibre individual, with exceptional levels of personal drive and eagerness for personal development. An analytical mind, coupled with strong communication skills and a positive attitude are essential to fit into the Newton culture. We’ll be looking for similar characteristics in you, including:
- Excellent organisational skills, ability to multi-task and organise
- Experience of writing compelling prose, whether through copywriting, writing tenders, commercial documents, articles, marketing collateral, essays, or other works
- An ability to get things done and hit deadlines
- Strong IT skills, and a lack of fear of working with new systems
- Numerate, logical
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including clear oral and written communication excited by the prospect of developing new relations (both internally and externally)
- Self-motivated and able to work effectively on own initiative but also an excellent team worker
- Focus and commitment
- Ability to work under pressure and be flexible as part of a small team
- Ability to think ahead and anticipate needs before they arise
- A pleasure to work with
- Sense of humour
- Keen to achieve more
- “Make sure” mentality; superb attention to detail
HOW DO WE DEVELOP AND REWARD YOU?
Newton maximises the potential of our people, whether in client-based consulting roles, or in support functions. The prospects for career and personal development in this role are no exception, with future possibilities in a wider remit across operations, marketing, business development and more.
Supporting you starts from day one. Throughout your time at Newton, you’ll get support from several sources – from stretching projects, on-the-job feedback and developmental guidance from our leaders. You’ll attend our ‘Induction Training Camp’ and have a dedicated and consistent Development Manager to support your career progression. You’ll receive regular appraisals and annual pay reviews.
We offer a highly competitive salary and our generous benefits package includes Life Assurance, Income Protection, pension contributions and 28 days’ holiday.
Joining us also brings many social benefits! Covid permitting, we have a genuinely social and collaborative culture where the whole company gathers every 2 weeks for a night and day to celebrate success, resolve challenges on client projects and have fun. We also have a full social calendar with Autumn and Spring activity days, Christmas events, 3-day Summer event and 4 Newton-sponsored weekends a year. At the moment these events are understandably mainly done remotely.