We are looking for an adaptable and highly proficient writer to join our well-regarded Central Bid team. You will be writing engaging, high-quality content for new and existing clients across a range of markets and sectors, working closely with our consultant teams to produce winning bids on multi-million pound programmes. This role is ideal for an experienced Bid Writer who is looking for their next career step in a growing team with a high tender win rate, directly contributing to ambitious business growth.
What is the role?
As a skilled writer, you’ll be working with teams drawn from across our organisation to build engaging, persuasive and compelling proposals that win new business for Newton.
The role involves;
- Working with our consultants to create concise, high-quality proposals and bid/tender submissions
- Understanding the exact requirements of all bids (including deadlines, response structures, word counts and presentation styles), to ensure fully compliant responses
- Assisting bid teams to develop win themes, then guide response structures and storyboards that best convey how Newton will deliver results
- Working with consultants at all levels of the business to draft prose, often translating complex information into concise, engaging answers. Clearly conveying technical detail and situational understanding in an accessible manner
- Building networks with subject matter experts across the business to translate their knowledge, passion and experience into solutions for our clients
- Working with the Bid Manager to oversee the delivery of all bid materials, including technical responses, executive summaries, CVs and case studies
- Reviewing, proof reading and editing drafts for grammatical and stylistic errors
- Ensuring the Newton brand, style, presentation and messaging are embedded and consistent throughout the responses
- Reviewing, maintaining and updating the Bid Teams’ library of materials
You will therefore play a key role in winning new business for us and establish yourself as the go-to expert on bid and proposal writing across Newton. You will have the opportunity to lead the development of our bid writing style and embed best practice across the organisation.
This role offers huge variety; we currently respond to at least four tenders a month for large, £multi-million consulting contracts, predominantly in our Public cluster, but also increasingly in our Defence and Infrastructure cluster and occasionally in our Consumer cluster.
Our business is growing rapidly with a full pipeline, with a particular focus on expanding our presence in emerging sectors such as Central Government and Infrastructure.
We have collated high quality content and collateral for all our tender and sales documents and this needs to be maintained so it is instantly accessible, and continuously improved to ensure we can move at real pace to respond to the business development needs of the business.
You will be working at our Head Office in a highly regarded team comprising a Bid Manager, four lawyers and the COO, together with our Finance, Marketing, and Knowledge teams. This is a highly visible role; you will be regularly working with our Directors and Partners to create compelling proposals and tenders.
Your education, skills and experience:
This is an ideal role for an experienced copywriter, proposal specialist, bid or tender writer looking to develop their career in an ambitious, growing organisation. You’ll be a high calibre writer, with exceptional levels of creativity and attention-to-detail. You’ll need strong interpersonal and communication skills, and a positive attitude is essential to fit into the Newton culture. We’ll be looking for similar characteristics in you, including:
- Experience in copywriting, proposal, tender or bid writing
- Excellent communication and influencing skills, with the confidence to build networks across the business, especially with subject matter experts at senior levels
- Confident in translating technical and complex information into concise, engaging and persuasive written answers
- Creative and innovative, able to adapt your style and approach to meet the differing needs of our customers through compelling responses
- Flexible and adaptable, able to work on multiple deadlines simultaneously within a fast-paced team, sometimes in pressurised situations
- Organised and thorough in meeting requests and deadlines, with excellent time management
- Keen eye for detail, skilled in maintaining style and language and a comprehensive proofreader
- Focussed on delivering high-quality work
- A pleasure to work with
- Sense of humour
- Keen to achieve more
- “Make sure” mentality; superb attention to detail
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and SharePoint
How do we develop and reward you?
Newton’s culture is prefaced on maximising the potential of our people, whether in client-based consulting roles, or in support functions. The prospects for career and personal development in this role are no exception. The bid writer role is ideal for someone keen to make an instant impact in a rapidly growing business. With that growth comes the opportunity to work across numerous sectors and play a pivotal role in positioning Newton with our clients.
As a new role for the bid team, this position offers the scope and flexibility for the right candidate to quickly shape and grow the role. It also offers exposure to our wider head office functions, including marketing, brand, knowledge and commercial.
Supporting you starts from day one. Throughout your time at Newton, you’ll get support from several sources – from stretching projects, on-the-job feedback and developmental guidance from our leaders. You’ll attend our ‘Induction Training Camp’ and have a dedicated and consistent Development Manager to support your career progression. You’ll receive regular appraisals and annual pay reviews.
We offer a highly competitive salary and our generous benefits package includes Life Assurance, Income Protection, pension contributions and 27 days’ holiday.
Joining us also brings many social benefits! We have a full social calendar with Autumn and Spring activity days, Christmas events, 3-day Summer event and 4 Newton-sponsored weekends a year.