Graduate HR Assistant
Graduate HR AssistantApply for role
What is the role?
We are looking for a HR Assistant to join our People team in the HR Operations function, contributing to the pivotal role that the HR function plays in the business. Reporting to the HR Operations Manager you will help support and develop a first-class HR service for our growing business and your role will change as you continue your professional and personal development.
Your attention to detail, professional and proactive approach, and desire for a career in HR will mean that you always seek to improve processes and offer insightful challenge to offer a first-class HR service. You will be equally confident with data analysis and contractual matters, as well as keeping up to date with changes in employment law.
Core day to day responsibilities will include:
- Offering first point of contact HR support for employee and manager queries, giving sound advice and escalating to the HR Adviser and HR Manager where appropriate
- Managing administration of employee data and dealing with this confidentially and discreetly
- Coordinating and improving processes for starters, leavers and promotions, including administration of pay and benefits
- Supporting and advising on low-level sickness and performance cases whilst working with the HR Adviser to develop your knowledge of employment law and casework
- Minute-taking in formal employee meetings
- Providing timely reports and data to the HR Operations Manager
- Leading on ad hoc projects to support wider HR and business delivery
You will be a positive ambassador for the HR function, passionate about your career in HR and driven by ongoing professional development. We are looking for someone who will have the ability to progress into a future HR Adviser role once they have demonstrated excellent delivery and built productive relationships as a trusted and respected HR Assistant. We anticipate that this could take up to 24 months.
We will support your ongoing professional development through both internal and external opportunities (including, but not limited to, further CIPD qualifications).
Your education, skills and experience:
You’ll be a high calibre individual, with exceptional levels of personal drive and eagerness for personal development. An analytical mind, coupled with strong interpersonal and communication skills and a positive attitude are essential to fit into the Newton culture. This is an ideal role for a graduate who is in the early stages of their HR career, or for a graduate looking to start their HR career, and who is looking to develop their skills and experience.
The successful candidate will also possess the following attributes:
- Be a recent graduate with the eagerness to develop a career in HR
- A self-starter attitude with a pro-active ability to generate ideas and implement improvements - A proven ability to manage multiple, conflicting demands on your time yet still move all areas ahead at a pace and prioritise effectively - Mature approach to dealing with confidential issues in a professional way - High level of numeracy and IT literacy, including Excel - Excellent attention to detail and high level of accuracy
It would be great if you had: Level 3 CIPD qualification or working towards this. Don’t worry if you don’t, as long as you are passionate about achieving this Newton will support you with the qualification
There will be occasional UK travel with this role, usually one night/day per fortnight to Company Review Days, where you will support with the running of a ‘HR Clinic’, and other ad hoc meetings as required.
How do we develop and reward you?
Newton’s culture is prefaced on maximising the potential of our people, whether in client-based consulting roles, or in support functions. The prospects for career and personal development in this role are no exception, with the medium-term expectation of progression within the People team (or more broadly within the rapidly growing head office).
Supporting you starts from day one. Throughout your time at Newton, you’ll get support from several sources – from stretching projects, on-the-job feedback and developmental guidance from our leaders. You’ll attend our ‘Induction Training Camp’ and have a dedicated and consistent Development Manager to support your career progression. You’ll receive regular appraisals and annual pay reviews.
We offer a highly competitive salary and our generous benefits package includes Life Assurance, Income Protection, pension contributions and 25 days’ holiday.
Joining us also brings many social benefits! We have a full social calendar with Autumn and Spring activity days, Christmas events, 3-day Summer event and 4 Newton-sponsored weekends a year.