Newton is a high growth and successful management consultancy, employing the brightest and most curious minds in the industry. We boast an impressive client base of household names and bluechips, delivering impressive tangible benefits in areas including process optimisation and cost reduction. We are small enough that every individual can make a huge impact, both internally and externally.
Newton’s rapidly growing Digital practice delivers digital transformation across our largest and most complex programmes, including data science and analytics, systems change, technology and data architecture. The team is fully embedded into our core consulting teams and enable solutions worth tens of millions of pounds to our clients. The Digital team is one of Newton’s specialist capabilities, along with Change Management; these teams work seamlessly with the core consulting body to enable delivery of exceptional results for our clients. All our work is delivered by a single, coherent team, aligned to the clear goals of the Programme. Together, these specialist capabilities form a critical part of Newton’s proposition.
We are seeking Data Engineers who consider themselves thought leaders, excellent technologists, and self-starters with extensive experience in SQL and NoSQL databases, Data Modelling, and ETL pipeline design. These roles will be focused on large improvement programmes, working alongside Newton’s Operational Consultants, Digital peers and clients. These are leadership roles which include improving, developing and embedding a data-driven decision-making capability within our clients. We passionately believe in the value and potential of this capability and we aim for it to represent more than 10% of our business by 2021.
Peers describe you as the go-to person for the most challenging data ingestion and modelling problems, and you have a track record of root-causing and solving challenging data problems. Detail-orientation and reliable, well-tested code are features of your work but you are also comfortable working with clients and colleagues who are less technical to achieve amazing outcomes.
- Leading the gathering, manipulation and analysis of data on major transformation programmes within the client-facing consulting teams
- Getting under the skin of client data and processes to understand where value can be added
- Creating new opportunities to deliver value to clients through data and digital
- Implementing data-driven actionable insights that drive change across an organisation
- Building pipelines that are suitable for Data Scientists and analysts working in a Python environment
- Building effective relationships with stakeholders in the client organisation, influencing and coaching to help them implement a data-driven capability within their organisation
- Being held up as a role model amongst the wider business with a reputation as an inspirational leader; influencing and improving internal processes and delivering training
- Changing the way Newton uses data and digital by guiding and mentoring colleagues on how to gather, manipulate and analyse data effectively
- Managing and developing consultants within your team
Successful candidates will have will have 5 years plus experience and tangible results of projects that include:
- Experience of designing, developing, delivering and maintaining large-scale data infrastructures
- SQL Master - Extensive knowledge and Vast experience with SQL Queries
- Extensive data modelling experience, especially with low-quality data – knowledge of common methods like third normal form and star schema
- Strong shell scripting abilities
- Proficiency in using Cloud services for data engineering, storage, and analytics
- Expert Python developer with a working knowledge of data science
- Proficient with software engineering best practices (monitoring, testing, documentation)
- Work with data analysts and provide the data they need and guide them on the issues
- Extensive ETL experience and Hadoop experience
- Experience in Real time data ingestion (e.g. Kafka)
- Able to troubleshoot the data issues in dashboarding tools (Power BI) and suggest solutions
- A team player can achieve more on a team that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts and works effectively with less technical colleagues
A word from us
Everybody likes to say they’re different...
Newton was founded to buck the norm in management consultancy - to demand better for its clients. Because, for us, change doesn’t come from behind a laptop. It comes from getting under the skin of an organisation and learning first-hand how it ticks. It’s not about producing reports that gather dust on a boardroom’s top shelf; it’s about delivering results that actually work.We crack some of the biggest challenges that businesses and public sector organisations face.
We’re called upon to bring much-needed change, from redesigning social care to improving build efficiencies on aircraft carriers. The work’s varied and complex - just how we like it. And no one else does it quite like we do. Take our business model. We guarantee our fees against delivering results, and will only leave once our clients see those results stick. Bold - yes. Disruptive? Always.
Blindingly fast career progression means that if you show you’re ready to step up - you’ll be promoted. Because we recognise talent, not tenure. And with all the support, training, and development you need, there’s really no stopping you. No matter the role you join in, you’ll be surrounded by spirited, naturally curious people. People who want to learn from you, and who’ll also teach you a thing or two along the way. It’s how everyone goes further, faster.
We think that it is important to be transparent about how we collect and use your personal data and are committed to protecting the privacy and security of the information we hold about you. Our candidate privacy notice provides more information about how we do this and provides you with certain information that must be provided under the General Data Protection Regulation ((EU) 2016/679). It is available here. If you have any questions about our candidate privacy notice, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.