We're looking for a Cloud Engineer who will build platforms that power both client and internal projects.
Working with our digital and technology teams, you’ll design, deploy and monitor virtual infrastructure to solve complex data problems.
WHAT IS THE ROLE?
Newton work on all kinds of projects, in virtually any sector. Such as making daily working life simpler and more effective for thousands of supermarket shop floor staff, for instance. Or ensuring more social care service users lead independent lives. Or enabling thousands more patients to be seen in clinics.
The Cloud Engineer will build the platform that enables both our client facing and internal technology teams. You’ll be responsible for ensuring that our end users have an efficient and effective technology service built on a reliable and secure technology infrastructure.
Responsibilities will include:
- Understanding the needs of our client facing technology teams to build virtualised infrastructure to support project delivery
- Working with our clients to deploy projects into diverse technology environments while meeting scalability and reliability requirements
- Developing tools to enhance technology deployment and scalability including CI/CD processes and containerisation
- Implementing technology to support our internal projects and help build a DevOps culture
- Resolving issues to mitigate immediate impact and drive long term improvement
- Influencing teams around platform design best practices, automation and security principles
- Acting as a SME during incident management or complex support issues
- Working with cloud partners to build relationships and evaluate future technology for suitability
- The role will require some travel with a combination of working from our office and remotely with some travel to client sites across the UK where necessary.
YOUR EDUCATION, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
You’ll be a high calibre individual, with exceptional levels of personal drive and eagerness for personal development. An analytical mind, coupled with strong communication skills and a positive attitude are essential to fit into the Newton culture. While your technical expertise is important, we’re also interested in how you’ve engaged with wider teams to understand their domain so you can maximise the impact of your technical background.
It's essential that you have:
- Deep familiarity with cloud providers in particular Azure and AWS
- Strong experience in designing virtualised infrastructure environments including compute, virtualisation, storage and security
- Worked with engineering teams building technology products ideally including microservices
- Automation of delivery through CI/CD processes
- Experience of administrating Microsoft environments such as Windows Server and SQL Server
- Experience of coaching and mentoring team members as well as sharing learnings more broadly across our business
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills
It’d be great if you had:
- Relevant Azure or AWS certifications
- Knowledge of python and related data science stacks
- Worked with containerisation technologies to simplify deployment
- Experience of distributed compute such as Spark or Hadoop and database/data warehouse services
- Worked with agile frameworks and practices
- Solicited technical requirements into an achievable plan to deliver
HOW DO WE DEVELOP AND REWARD YOU?
Newton maximises the potential of our people, whether in client-based consulting roles, or in support functions. The prospects for career and personal development in this role are no exception, with future possibilities in a wider remit across IT.
Supporting you starts from day one. Throughout your time at Newton, you’ll get support from several sources – from stretching projects, on-the-job feedback and developmental guidance from our leaders. You’ll attend our ‘Induction Training Camp’ and have a dedicated and consistent Development Manager to support your career progression. You’ll receive regular appraisals and annual pay reviews.
We offer a highly competitive salary and our generous benefits package includes Life Assurance, Income Protection, pension contributions and 28 days’ holiday.
Joining us also brings many social benefits! We have a full social calendar with Autumn and Spring activity days, Christmas events, 3-day Summer event and 4 Newton-sponsored weekends a year (Covid depending)