WHAT IS THE ROLE?
The role will involve working with our 2 Commercial Lawyers, Head of Legal & Bids and COO (also a lawyer) as part of a growing team on all legal matters affecting Newton.
A large part of the role will comprise the drafting and negotiation of multimillion pound client contracts and statements of work with major companies and institutions in the private and public sectors.
Legal work will also include:
- Supplier contracts
- Trademarks and IP
- Data protection
- Public procurement law
- Employment law and contracts
- Software licences and IT contracts
- Corporate work
In addition, there is scope for the role to cover important quasi-legal and non-legal areas that other legal teams would not usually get involved in, including:
- The proactive project management of all aspects of client contracts from start to finish
- Involvement in preparing and project managing tender responses for public and private sector clients alongside our bid team
- Involvement in many key internal improvement projects.
YOUR EDUCATION, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
Our team sets the bar high. Our people drive our business and our expertise and logic is highly sought after. The quality of your work and ability to communicate with colleagues and client teams at all levels make Newton exceptional.
We’ll be looking for similar characteristics in you, including:
- Strong knowledge of English contract law
- Experience of data protection law desirable
- Good experience of drafting and negotiating commercial contracts
- Pragmatic, commercial negotiation approach
- Strong IT skills, and a lack of fear of working with new systems
- Numerate, logical
- Excellent organisational skills, ability to multi-task and organise
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including clear oral and written communication – excited by the prospect of developing new relations (both internally and externally)
- Self-motivated and able to work effectively on own initiative
- Focus and commitment
- Ability to work under pressure and be flexible as part of a small team
- Ability to think ahead and anticipate needs before they arise
- A pleasure to work with
- Sense of humour
- Keen to achieve more
- "Make sure" mentality; superb attention to detail
- Qualified Solicitor or Barrister, 4-5 years PQE
HOW DO WE DEVELOP AND REWARD YOU?
Newton maximises the potential of our people, whether in client-based consulting roles, or in support functions. The prospects for career and personal development in this role are no exception, with future possibilities to move into different roles within the legal function as we grow, as well as other operational functions across the whole of the business support team.
Supporting you starts from day one. Throughout your time at Newton, you’ll get support from several sources – from stretching projects, on-the-job feedback and developmental guidance from our leaders. You’ll attend our ‘Induction Training Camp’ and have a dedicated and consistent Development Manager to support your career progression. You’ll receive regular appraisals and annual pay reviews.
We offer a highly competitive salary and our generous benefits package includes Life Assurance, Income Protection, pension contributions and 28 days’ holiday.
We are looking for someone who is driven and wants to progress their career. Joining us also brings many social benefits! Covid permitting, we have a genuinely social and collaborative culture where the whole company gathers every 2 weeks for a night and day to celebrate success, resolve challenges on client projects and have fun. We also have a full social calendar with Autumn and Spring activity days, Christmas events, 3-day Summer event and 4 Newton-sponsored weekends a year. At the moment these events are understandably mainly done remotely.
We think that it is important to be transparent about how we collect and use your personal data and are committed to protecting the privacy and security of the information we hold about you. Our candidate privacy notice provides more information about how we do this and provides you with certain information that must be provided under the General Data Protection Regulation ((EU) 2016/679). It is available here. If you have any questions about our candidate privacy notice, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.