Finance Business Partner
Finance Business Partner
What is the role?
We are a multi-award-winning consultancy looking for an exceptional newly qualified accountant - this is a superb opportunity to work alongside both client-facing consulting teams and internal functions. With a big focus on personal development to build your financial and commercial acumen, you will make a real and positive contribution to the business unit you support.
Our finance team has 4 functional groups:
- Finance Operations
- Performance & BI
- Planning & Investment
- Finance Business Partnering
We are looking for a recently qualified accountant (ACA, ACCA, CIMA) to join us as a Finance Business Partner in our Defence & Infrastructure Cluster (business unit). Sitting in our pivotal finance team, you will report directly to our Senior Finance Business Partner.
The Finance Business Partner role is pivotal to the Cluster. You will be an integral part of the Cluster team and will need to develop strong relationships across the business to support the achievement of strategic Cluster objectives, through proactive finance business partnering,
Your core responsibilities will include:
- Developing and delivering standard and ad-hoc financial analysis to the Defence & Infrastructure leadership team to support the strategic direction of the Cluster and drive long term sustainable growth
- Supporting the annual development of strategic Cluster plans and revenue budgets
- Monitoring performance against plan, providing challenge and insight to senior stakeholders as required
- Partnering with project managers to maximise profitability on live projects and drive a strong sustainable pipeline of work
- Identifying opportunities for continuous improvement
- Developing financial models to provide financial insight and improve commercial awareness across the Defence & Infrastructure Cluster
- Presenting key insights in an impactful and easy-to-understand manner through data visualisation and compelling narratives
Critical to the success of the role will be your ability to build positive working relationships and trust within the business so that you are able to challenge and contribute as a ‘business person’ as well as a finance practitioner. There will be a requirement for a small amount of travel (approx. 4-5 days a month) in order to attend internal meetings and events as well as visit our client sites.
An essential part of the success of this role is being able to integrate well with the existing Finance team and Defence & Infrastructure leadership team, through collaboration, best practice sharing and support. Strong communication skills are crucial, along with the ability to get stuck in and ensure all deadlines are met.
Your education, skills and experience:
You’ll be a high calibre individual, with exceptional levels of personal drive and eagerness for personal development. An analytical and inquisitive mind, coupled with strong, engaging communication skills and a positive attitude are essential to fit into the Newton culture. The successful candidate will also possess the following attributes:
- Recent ACA/ACCA/CIMA qualified with first time passes
- Strong analytical skills and high degree of proficiency with MS Excel
- Strong attention to detail and an investigative nature
- Good time management skills and the ability to prioritise
- Able to work independently as well as part of a team
- Ability to influence and challenge and build strong relationships across the business
How do we develop and reward you?
Newton’s culture is prefaced on maximising the potential of our people, whether in client-based consulting roles, or in support functions. The prospects for career and personal development in this role are no exception, with the medium-term expectation of promotion within the team (or more broadly within the rapidly growing head office), with next steps likely to include assuming greater responsibilities within the Defence & Infrastructure leadership team and contributing to driving Newton forward outside of the Cluster.
Supporting you starts from day one. Throughout your time at Newton, you’ll get support from several sources – from stretching projects, on-the-job feedback and developmental guidance from our leaders. You’ll attend our residential Head Office Induction and have a dedicated and consistent Development Manager to support your career progression. You’ll receive regular appraisals and annual pay reviews. We offer a highly competitive salary and our generous benefits package includes profit sharing bonus, Life Assurance, Income Protection, pension contributions and 28 days holiday.
Joining us also brings many social benefits! We have a full social calendar with Autumn and Spring activity days, Christmas events, 3-day Summer event and 4 Newton-sponsored weekends a year including our annual ski trip.